FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting to PDX - would you consider San Francisco as gateway?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:18 am
Smid

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by pt flyer
Seattle to PDX train connection works but SFO north should be avoided. Look to Alaska airlines fo connections along the West Coast.
Well, as for price, it's $35 economy from Seattle to PDX, but I can sort of see your point about trains being same price as flying if you are booking next week, but the same applies for flying...

A couple of weeks time, for two people SJC to PDX, it's $120 per person economy, and a cabin comes in $280 per person (though remember you'll might well get three meals included).

However, stretch that to November, for instance, and same trip is $152pp economy and $180 pp for a cabin.

As for lateness, I thought that the West/East train was more prone to that (due to rockies and freight trains blocking the way), having see my Reno to Emeryville train run 8 hours late (got a bus in the end). However, I suppose it's an accusation which is true:

Last months train delay into PDX, heading north

Shows that there was a 7 hour delay one day, a lot of 2-3 hours, and a lot of sub hour delays, with only a few days kind of on time. I suppose I'm ok with most of that (clearly the 7 hour one, no), because its on a train, and chilling out. I'd not be happy with a plane version of that.