FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 50% Off Economy Saver Awards
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:38 am
camille55

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
So the Emirates Economy redemption sale dates worked for a family trip I was planning anyway.

Cash Price for the flights I wanted over October Half Term were coming to £494 each. I managed to bag the following for LHR-DXB-LHR (for 6 nights): –

8 pax x 22,500 = 180k miles (instead of 360k)

EK then wanted YQ (“Carrier Imposed Charges”) of £140 each OR I could elect to pay 16,250 miles per pax. Now, I would usually never take the latter option because its generally not the best use of mile. But I find the problem with EK redemptions in Biz or F are the crazy so called “taxes” – circa £700 – for a Business Class return to Dubai. To me that is a tax on the use of these miles….which is too heavy for my liking.

So, this is what I did: –

8 pax x 16,250 = 130k miles (instead of £1,120)….so, 0.86p per mile approx for the YQ bit

There was still £836 of APD and various non-YQ charges to pay, which I settled in cash.

So I ended up with the family trip to Dubai over Half-Term for a total of 310k miles + £836 total. Meaning a cash outlay of £104.50 per person.

I’m smiling I got a good deal…..I hope others agree!?