FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - National vs Hertz vs Avis recent comparison
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:22 am
neo_781

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
I'm a National Exec member, recently Exec Elite but looking at comparing the loyalty program to Hertz and Avis. I was Exec Elite on National up until recently but noticed I can still get a car from the Exec Elite aisle and check out with no issue so it appears the main benefit of EE status is free rental after 5 credits, as opposed to free rental after 6 credits for plain Exec status.

I had 4500 Hertz points balance and recently cashed them in for a nearly free 4-day rental and got a Chrysler 300 which was great so it has me thinking if I should take a look at the 3 major rental car companies and take a fresh look at their loyalty programs.

I have no complaints with National but I don't like how i only get '1' credit for a multi-day rental. Whereas Hertz assigns points based on number of days renting.

Do any of you have any recent comparisons of the big 3 and pros/cons? Much appreciated
Here are some things you may want to consider ....

I think you need to look at how fast you earn enough points at Hertz versus 1 rental credit at National. Just because you earn more points for longer rentals doesn't mean you ultimately earn more free rental days.

Additionally, one major decision point for me is that National rental cars allow you to reserve Premium (or is it luxury - I forget) cars with their free day although some locations are starting to block this ability. With Hertz I believe its more points for a higher car class.

Also I find with National I generally have the ability to select a nicer car than what Hertz assigns. This applies when using points or paying cash.

Finally, don't forget the 1-2-FREE (which is starting up again soon).

A plus on the Hertz side is that the points don't expire (may require some activity) whereas the National credits expire on 12/31 the year after they are earned and the 1-2-FREE credits have a shorter shelf life (I think around June, 2018).