FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LIM 9 hour transit questions
View Single Post
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:49 pm
Windward Side of Life

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
LIM 9 hour transit questions

I'm wondering if any fellow FT’ers could help me out with some information. I’ve read thru many threads here and elsewhere to get information, but want to make sure of info as much as I can before we leave. Forewarned and all that…

My wife and I leave this week for a LAX-LIM-UIO r/t on Latam with a 7:40 AM arrival into Lima and a 9 hour layover before our onward connection to UIO at 4:40 PM. We are visiting some friends in Quito who run a non-profit foundation working with teenage girls. We are planning on taking some items with us for them to use in the craft classes they have with these girls, and we are also taking a few clothing items to give as gifts to some of the people working in the foundation. Nothing really fancy/expensive, but all together the items’ values - craft supplies plus gifts - probably total around $600. I’ve been to Quito before but this is my first time transiting LIM so I would appreciate any help in regards to the transit. My questions then are these:

• We are ticketed thru to UIO. I assume any checked baggage we have will not have to be claimed in LIM to go thru customs there? If checked baggage is inspected then I may have some follow-up questions.
• Immigrations/customs in LIM will take maybe an hour assuming #1 above is true?
• I understand that LIM traffic is not pleasant, say our arrival is on-time and we clear immigrations/customs and get our carry-ons stored by 9 AM or so does that leave enough time to go Miraflores and would 3-4 hours be worth it? I know “worth it” is highly subjective, but if I could have around 4 hours there instead of an airport with marginal lounges I’m pretty sure that would qualify.
• Would Miraflores be best for such a short timeframe? Subjective again, I know…
• Would the new shuttle be recommended instead of the taxi gauntlet?

Thanks much.