FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Windhoek to Swakopmund Aboard The Desert Express ~ Luxury Train Travel Across Namibia
Old May 31, 2004, 2:23 am
mad_atta

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Great report (and photos), Seat 2A, and one that brings back happy memories - of all the countries I visited in my 6 month ramble from the Cape to Nairobi, Namibia was my favourite. We got around in a beat up old VW Jetta, on arrow-straight roads through martian moonscapes... but I can certainly see the appeal of admiring that landscape from a leather armchair while sipping a well-chilled Windhoek lager. Which, incidentally, I discovered the other day in a Sydney off-license - any Sydneysiders out there who are pining for Windhoek should head to Kemeny's on Bondi Road. (Great wine selection, too!)

I'm sorry to read that downtown Windhoek is now considered unsafe. One thing I found so refreshing about Namibia, in contrast to South Africa, was that I never felt unsafe anywhere, and there didn't seem to be the underlying edge of tension and aggression that one often felt simmering below the surface in South African cities.