FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:13 pm
GoPhils

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Ouch. So my AA account got hacked on Sunday 8/13. Got an email alerting me that miles were used to book a ticket. Didn't look right and by the time I called AA just minutes later, I found out that three trips had been booked - one of which was actively in the air. All were tickets were booked using a different credit card (not mine as I don't keep one on file ever) but wiped out my miles.

Spoke to a couple of different phone agents that day that assured me all would be OK...I was lucky to catch it so fast...blah blah. Called back on Monday per their request to talk to Customer Service and go through the process of getting a new AA number and set up a new profile. Went through the questionable PNRs again and validated everything.

Heard nothing back all last week. Called again yesterday as I was a little surprised that the miles for the two trips that were not yet flown and were still not back in my account. Was told now that their policy is that the investigation could take up to 6 months to complete and no, I could not speak to anyone to get a little more clarity.

Wanting to book a trip in a month or two for my family with the miles, but obviously now am in a holding pattern. Not sure if there is a logical next step I should take. Thoughts??
Not that it would necessarily help you, but if one was actually in the air couldn't they confront the culprit upon landing?