FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:30 pm
Gig103

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by flyerwma
I seem to be in the minority on this, but I see this change as a major devaluation.

In the past, I would find discounted Z fares that would qualify under the old program. As an example, $2500 USA-EUR on Air France.

Under the old program, it would be $2500 for the first passenger, and then about $900 in taxes for the second. But the IAP fare was fully refundable. So for $3400 (or $1700 per person), I would have a pair of fully-refundable business class tickets.

Under the new program, this prices out at about a 10% discount (slightly more) to the quoted fare. So now I would pay approx. $4300 (so $900 more) for [non-refundable] tickets.

So lose/lose on the $ and non-refundable front.
I agree that it is a loss, when it comes to flexibility. Better to lose mileage earning on the 'freebie' than the price of one or two tickets!

For what it's worth though, some IAP fares include $0 change fees, and/or refund allowances. But it isn't a guaranteed benefit so still a loss. For example, a JAL route I flew BOGO @ $7k+$0, is now $6k. Great for the solo traveler, but now $5k more expensive and I didn't ask about the fare basis to see if it was one of the flexible tickets I just mentioned.