FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Concierge Lounge Closed due to low Occupancy
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:21 pm
Kevin01

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, National EE
Lounge closed due to low occupancy

Has anyone ever come across this? Maybe I've been fortunate, but as a Plat Premier for more than a decade I've never had a lounge close on me midweek.

Checked in to Renaissance on Thursday at 4pm. Given a room two floors below concierge (I have high floor on profile). Kindly asked to be moved to the lounge floor since I often do morning work and appreciate the walk to the lounge (coffee) vs using the elevator. Told they are fully booked on the lounge floor. I mentioned my status and told them I'm not particular about bed type if that helps. Offered a king next to the elevator. Declined. Manager came out and offered a room with two beds (only one left on the floor)...said that's fine.

Came back from my evening work commitment at around 9pm local. Exited elevator and noticed lounge was dark and closed. Had a phone call and went to the room for the night. When I went down at 7am for breakast, lounge still dark and closed, so I went down the to the front desk. Was told the hotel is only 18 percent full and they closed the lounge due to low occupancy. Said I was only 1 of 5 guests that were Plat or above, so didn't figure they were inconveniencing anyone. Offered me breakfast in the restaurant (and then was told the buffet was not open due to low occupancy...fine by me, as I got an omelette). Mentioned I should have complained last night and they would have allowed me to get an appetizer in the bar.

I was pretty upset at the end of the day. I booked the full service property over better locations because of the lounge benefits. I was not notified upon check in that it would be closed...in fact, you could argue I was misled when being told that we are fully booked on the lounge floor (FWIW, I have not seen one person on this floor outside of a maid in 24 hours). If told it was closed, I would've likely went to a different hotel with a better location/rate. I suggested if this is a common practice, it should be mentioned to the guest at check in. And if it "only inconvenienced 5 guests" I would suggest a note/app voucher under the door or at least a phone call/VM to the room so I wouldn't be caught by surprise upon returning to the hotel.

It's the little things that count in a case like this given the amount of business I have given this property, and Marriott. I was offered 5k points after a long discussion with the MOD, but my issues with the policy/procedures stand. I was planning on running a company meeting here in October, but will choose another location after this experience.