FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United #1564 - BOS - ORD -- inflight hydraulic issue (all safe)
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:23 pm
clubord

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I was on this flight today and was a bit stressful. Plane lost one of its hydraulic systems. While we were never in any real danger, to my knowledge, the pilot did have to explain it, we did get priority landing, were met by fire trucks and had to be towed to the gate.
Anyone else on this flight today

Anyone know if this was actually not that bad of an issue or if they just covered it up well to keep passengers calm
There are multiple hydraulic systems on each plane and for the most part they run independently from each other. However a degradation of any flight control system (hydraulically operated) requires an emergency to be declared and priority handling.

I lost part of the hydraulic system in a 764 a few years ago descending to land in Europe. It's a long checklist and you land at a little higher airspeed but it wasn't that big of a deal. From what I remember - longer landing, reduced flap setting, and lots of fire trucks.