FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Super Bowl Award Cancelled
View Single Post
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:46 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
If you want to see even wider (over?)booking (also largely on speculation?), look at any hotel in or near the eclipse path in Oregon or Wyoming for Aug 20, the night before the eclipse. Bend (which is slightly outside) is 0 availability, Salem is 0 availability, Jackson WY is 0 availability, etc, etc. I got the last hotel room in the area of The Dalles a while ago (not a Wyndham). In another thread here, people a few months ago were booking up a Super 8 for 15k points in Jackson WY when all other hotels there were sold out already and rates were many hundreds of dollars cash.

But I noticed that some hotels which were sold out directly were showing up with prices like $3000/night on third-party booking sites with availability. I presume that's speculation?
Well, it turns out that Days Inn in Bend did show availability a couple months out at either $1016 or 15k points, so I grabbed it with points. I watch the price go up to $1400, but in the days before the eclipse it dropped to $400 (and by then many other hotels in Bend had rooms for the night before the eclipse too, though most for a bit more than $400, all for well under $1000 by that point).

And Days Inn in Bend did honor my reservation with no problem. Plus for the morning of the eclipse, they set out the hot breakfast by 4:15 am (they had promised hot by 4 am and maybe continental by 2 or 3 am, but I didn't check until 4:15 am). I guess they realized that many people wanted to get an early start on the drive north to the totality path, given all the news in recent days about coming traffic nightmares. And, in fact, I did want to leave before 5 am myself, as I was heading an hour-plus north to Mecca Flats Recreation Area, beyond Madras and right before Warm Springs.

So a shout out about one Days Inn which really went above and beyond for eclipse chasers. ^ ^ ^