FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2017 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:42 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by kmandrew
I found 2 great Saver J to BUD June trip all AA, all I can find home for July 12 is BRU-OMA on BA so $800; also I just remembered I used my 1Ok Citi rebate in January 17 so not eligible until Jan 18. I have this on hold until this weekend, I can ticket the outbound using my wife's miles so 105k - no problem. Should I wait until next January to book the return? We can fly home from BRU, CDG, LHR, FRA, MUC - plan on spending 2 weeks visiting Central Europe. My gut tells me if I wait I will be able to find something as least as good as what I have and probably better; love some opinions.
If you found what you want outbound and you don't secure it now, what are the chances something equal to that, or even close to that, will become available later? (In my opinion, not so likely).

For the return, I'd keep looking and jump on anything that is as good as a return on or close to that date. Much better to lose 10k miles than pay $1,600 using BA, which is likely to remain available for some time. Even a combined BA award, say BRU - LHR on BA and onward on AA, will cost less. IMO you just have to be fairly tenacious to fund the return - or subscribe to ExpertFlyer to notify you of return award availability.