FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Exit seat protocols BA2556 19th August
View Single Post
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:16 am
YorkieFlyer

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Exit seat protocols BA2556 19th August

I am somewhat alarmed at our experience flying from LGW on Saturday. We had reserved 12d and f the front emergency exit seats. At the gate before our priority boarding we noticed an extremely obese gentleman on a mobility scooter being preboarded.We then boarded took our seats and on completion of boarding were pleased to

note the middle seat remained
unoccupied. Then a young female flight attendant brought the previously mentioned limited mobility passenger who was now walking with difficulty with a stick and seated him in 12e. He had difficulty fastening the seatbelt even with an extension due to his extreme girth. I presumed mrs yorkieflyer was still in 12d but was by now unable to ascertain visually due to my view being totally obstructed even when attempting to see round.
The cabin crew manager on his round of inspecting the cabin called the young flight attendant to our row and explained to her and the passenger that he could occupy this seat for take off and landing only.
He was asked to move to his original seat and returned to 12e after take off and seat belt sign off. He at his own volition returned to his original seat when the seat belt sign was on and the cabin was going to be prepared for landing.
my concern is that I always understood that only able bodied passengers should be seated in exit rows in the event of an emergency which could mean a diversion and emergency landing at any point in the flight. Am I right to be concerned at what I take to be an error by the cabin crew?