FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Switching within two Star Alliance Programmes
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:57 am
angelstars

Programs: UA *G, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Switching within two Star Alliance Programmes

Hi everyone, i was wondering if you could help. I'm based in Singapore and have been using UA's FF program for various reasons, the two main reasons are (a) baggage allowance, (b) free E+ and (c) taxes and surcharges on award tickets are substantially cheaper than for instance using KF.

However, now that UA has passed the SIN-NRT routes to NH and it seems to be ceasing the SIN-HKG route, it looks like it will be more difficult to do the 4 flights on UA, unless I make the effort to tack on potentially 2 domestic flights on our annual US trip and I'm not sure if its worth the effort to do so, instead of just paying for the extra baggage

I'm now considering whether to swap out to another Star Alliance program. KF seems to now be the logical option but I was wondering if anyone had other thoughts on whether for instance, Asiana / ANA / Thai would be better. Most travel is intra-asia (to HK and Japan) and maybe one or two trips to Europe per year.

Also is it possible to status match across - especially with ANA since its supposed to be a UA JV ?

I'm at 30K of the 50K PQM needed so I'm trying to figure this out before the next trip which will net the bulk of the balance 20K PQM needed to requalify for next year, in case its best credited to some where else.

Lastly - assuming I do swap out for another Star Alliance program, lounge access seems to still be possible without my UA number on the ticket because I can just show the card. However, if I dont put my UA number on the ticket (and I fly UA) - presumably I cant access E+ or the additional free bags ? The purpose of not putting the UA number on the ticket would be to credit that flight to the new program.

Thanks !