FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Visiting Japan in Winter (consolidated)
View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:47 pm
MitzEclipse

Originally Posted by evergrn
Okay. There're just so many onsen places that it's hard to recommend one or two places unless you have a specific area in my mind. But sticking to southern Kyushu, Kirishima Hotel in Kirishima Onsen for instance comes in at 17,000yen + tax for 2 adults on 27th Dec, breakfast and dinner included. I've never stayed there, but it's a place I've been wanting to check out for a while.

In general, I expect to pay <30k yen for a room without private onsen, probably <55k yen for a room with private onsen. For 2 adults. Breakfast and dinner included. Only places that are >4.0 rating on Rakuten. Certain onsen towns are more expensive than others. But I usually book my onsen stays 2-6months in advance, and it's never a problem finding a reasonably-priced place in late Dec unless it's Fri, Sat or 28 Dec ~ 3 Jan or so as long as you have some flexibility. I stayed in Beppu around 26 or 27 Dec last year. When I went online to look for rooms literally the day before, tons of availability.
Thanks for the recommendation - is it this one? https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...u_Okinawa.html this appears to be quite a big ryokan, would prefer one of the more traditional ones that are 20ish rooms.

Thanks for the budget figures - yes 30k seems to be the right ballpark with breakfast and dinner. Any other recommendations? and yes I have flexibility, do not need to stay 28 Dec - 3 Jan, can be before or after.