FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Economy vs BA Economy
View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by frenzie01
Hello all,

I hope you can help me. I am about to book my first Cathay flight.
I never flew anything else apart from BA (tried all classes including Business and First).
This time I want to stick with a friend who flies in Economy and price conscious.

What I like about BA economy:
*I always upgrade my meal for £15. Meal delivered in proper plates and cutlery, real glass. Delicious food.
-Any similar option on Cathay? I am a fussy eater, do they have western options?

No upgrade option. Food in Y is pretty standard. It's not really any better or worse than BA, and certainly not as bad as the above posts makes out. However, there will be more of it, and mid flight snacks are better.

*They are generous with drinks. I always get 2 GnTs without asking and wine with a meal. I have never been refused extra drink if I went to the galley. I also know my limits and never get drunk.
-How would this compare to Cathay?

No different. CX crew will happily keep refilling your drinks all flight long. CX crew are more accustomed to the call bell than most but you can still walk to the galley.
Again contrary to the above poster, they are not understaffed onboard, as that would be against regulations

*There is usually very reasonable airport upgrade options.
-Does Cathay offers good cash upgrade options?

No, not on London flights (yet). You must purchase a new ticket. CX does seem to like upgrading BA status holders though, if that applies to you.

Bonus question: would you recommend Cathay A350 vs BA 787 in economy?

A350 every time. Due to the cabin width economy on a 787 is VERY tight, and BA's version has their standard economy seat. CX has a brand new design on the A350.

You do know BA doesn't fly the 787 to HKG?

Many thanks for helping me with this!
Answers in bold.