FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Olympics travel planning
View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:51 am
warrenw

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by Ricebucket
Thanks warrenw!

We haven't been able to find much detailed information in English, so your post was really really helpful.

I have several questions about the KTX:
1) Just to confirm, the Seoul terminal points for the KTX trains are Yongsan and Seoul stations? Any other stations in between those 2 in Seoul? Is there a good map of the lines relevant to the Olympics? Do we need to transfer between trains themselves or are these all on 1 line? I did some Googling and there seems to be a bunch of lines named by stations and without knowing the geography it's hard to figure them out.
2) I think the Olympics is in 3 separate zones, so would require getting off the KTX at PyeongChang, Jinbu, and Gangneung stations and then transfer to bus? How long are the bus rides? The map on this page is very confusing as I can't figure out what's a road and what's a railway (also what's JC and IC?): https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/s...on-Information
3) you mentioned tedious to book without an alien registration. Besides the seat selection problem, is there anything else that's "tedious?" Is there an app to book tickets?
4) how flexible are the KTX tickets? It would seem that it would be difficult to book some of the tickets in advance because some of the times might be highly variable (e.g. bus connection, getting out of the venue).
5) how late do the trains run? It seems that some events end very late (e.g. opening ceremony)
6) cost: Approximately how much are the trains? Do booking in advance mean lower prices? If we're commuting each day for a week, this could get expensive. I just read that there's a Korail Pass for foreigners, is it recommended? Does the Korail Pass allow for travel on the lines for the Olympics? In past Olympics that we've been to (London, Beijing), a ticket to an Olympics event would get you a free ride on public transportation for that day. Do you know if this will apply to Pyeongchang as well, and would it apply to the KTX? If so, then I assume we wouldn't even need to buy any KTX tickets in advance?

Thanks again!
Wow lot's of questions! Let me see what I'm able to answer.
1. Seoul station and Yongsan station are about ~2km from each other so no, no stations in between. In terms of KTX stations it's those two and Yeungdeungpo but the latter wouldn't be used for the Olympics. There's an east Seoul main train station but I don't know if it will have KTX compatibility though.
2. I believe you would be able to take the KTX between stations but there are also regular, "slow" trains between each. These regular trains aren't going to take that much longer, and you can probably buy tickets day-of for travel between those stations and be perfectly fine. JC and IC both relate to driving, like IC is interchange for example. The maps are confusing but they're labeled, so down towards the bottom is the train map.
3. There's an app but there is no english option. By tedious I mean you have to enter your credit card info and name each time you book a ticket, none of it is saved and you can't create an account, etc. That's what I meant by tedious.
4. Not flexible. Well I take that back, it's flexible but it's not like you can say "Oh I want to switch this ticket for a later time during the day" you have to cancel your existing ticket and buy another, with no seat guarantee necessarily. As a foreigner you would have to do ticket changes at a reservation desk at the train station. They don't really speak english either but they might do something about that for the Olympics.
5. Uuuhhh I live about an hour south of Seoul by train and my last chance train is at 11pm to get home. They don't go super late but they might change that for the Olympics. I'll ask my girlfriend to check.
6. I have no idea but I kind of doubt it. Korea is based on seat assignments for train tickets and I don't really see them throwing that out the window. As far as cost, I don't think they've released it yet but a ticket from Seoul to Busan is ~$50 and it's 3 hours (one way) so an hour ride would be ~$18-$20 I would say. Each way. Booking in advance does not mean cheaper prices it just guarantee's you a seat. And I've never heard of a Korail Pass... But doing some quick research I would say yes, you could do that and it will be perfectly valid. Just be mindful of seat reservations but I think you can do it on the website with your Korail pass. That might be worth it if you'll be taking the KTX every day.