FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Olympics travel planning
View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:14 am
Ricebucket

KTX questions

Originally Posted by warrenw
Hi guys,

Maybe I can provide some insight into what's going on here in Korea and maybe give some advice.

2. I highly suggest staying in Seoul and commuting every day as they're finishing / have finished the KTX out to the Olympic site.

3. There are some great hotels in Seoul if you're the type who likes to stay at hotels that are more uh, western. However I caution you, as the further you get from Seoul station or Yongsan station the longer your commute becomes. I wouldn't stay further north than the central city area but remember this is more "touristy" so prices are higher. If you're wanting to stay south of the river I wouldn't stray further west than Yeoeuido (although that involves a subway transfer, but does get you to the Conrad) and the furthest south I would book would be Yeongdeungpo. Yeongdeungpo is nice and has great food and some good hotels and is only about 5 subway stops south of Yongsan or Seoul station, and is direct. I highly suggest NOT booking in Gangnam (such as the JW) because it's simply too far from the train. You would regret it.

5. Booking rail tickets. Korail only allows booking for up to one month in advance. So look at the days you need your tickets and be ready at your computer a month in advance in order to secure tickets for the Olympic games. Unfortunately it's a bit tedious to book without an alien registration card, and you cannot select your own seats as a foreigner, but if you book early enough and as a group then the system seats you next to each other if space is available. If you buy in advance print your tickets (PDF is fine) and they will have your seat number on them, you have to sit in your assigned seat. It may be an obvious statement but people get really up in arms over that stuff. Be prepared to show your ticket to a conductor if asked, although that's rare. If caught without a ticket you have to pay full fare +20% or something like that.

If anyone has some specific questions I'd be happy to answer them. Korea is an extremely safe place and don't worry, it won't be a nuclear wasteland by the time the Olympics come around. Book with confidence.
Thanks warrenw!

We haven't been able to find much detailed information in English, so your post was really really helpful.

I have several questions about the KTX:
1) Just to confirm, the Seoul terminal points for the KTX trains are Yongsan and Seoul stations? Any other stations in between those 2 in Seoul? Is there a good map of the lines relevant to the Olympics? Do we need to transfer between trains themselves or are these all on 1 line? I did some Googling and there seems to be a bunch of lines named by stations and without knowing the geography it's hard to figure them out.
2) I think the Olympics is in 3 separate zones, so would require getting off the KTX at PyeongChang, Jinbu, and Gangneung stations and then transfer to bus? How long are the bus rides? The map on this page is very confusing as I can't figure out what's a road and what's a railway (also what's JC and IC?): https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/s...on-Information
3) you mentioned tedious to book without an alien registration. Besides the seat selection problem, is there anything else that's "tedious?" Is there an app to book tickets?
4) how flexible are the KTX tickets? It would seem that it would be difficult to book some of the tickets in advance because some of the times might be highly variable (e.g. bus connection, getting out of the venue).
5) how late do the trains run? It seems that some events end very late (e.g. opening ceremony)
6) cost: Approximately how much are the trains? Do booking in advance mean lower prices? If we're commuting each day for a week, this could get expensive. I just read that there's a Korail Pass for foreigners, is it recommended? Does the Korail Pass allow for travel on the lines for the Olympics? In past Olympics that we've been to (London, Beijing), a ticket to an Olympics event would get you a free ride on public transportation for that day. Do you know if this will apply to Pyeongchang as well, and would it apply to the KTX? If so, then I assume we wouldn't even need to buy any KTX tickets in advance?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Ricebucket; Aug 20, 2017 at 6:22 am