FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Olympics travel planning
View Single Post
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:14 pm
warrenw

Programs: None anymore
Hi guys,

Maybe I can provide some insight into what's going on here in Korea and maybe give some advice.

1. Additional terminal at ICN should be opening in October, however they've been having issues with the duty free vendor so they may not open until after the Olympics... Haven't heard an official story on that yet though.

2. I highly suggest staying in Seoul and commuting every day as they're finishing / have finished the KTX out to the Olympic site.

3. There are some great hotels in Seoul if you're the type who likes to stay at hotels that are more uh, western. However I caution you, as the further you get from Seoul station or Yongsan station the longer your commute becomes. I wouldn't stay further north than the central city area but remember this is more "touristy" so prices are higher. If you're wanting to stay south of the river I wouldn't stray further west than Yeoeuido (although that involves a subway transfer, but does get you to the Conrad) and the furthest south I would book would be Yeongdeungpo. Yeongdeungpo is nice and has great food and some good hotels and is only about 5 subway stops south of Yongsan or Seoul station, and is direct. I highly suggest NOT booking in Gangnam (such as the JW) because it's simply too far from the train. You would regret it.

4. Olympics fall around Lunar New Year in Korea which is a heavy travel time. The Olympics will change things a bit as maybe Koreans will go to the Olympics during their time off. Things in Seoul are dead/closed around that time as everyone's on vacation (restaurants, etc.). I wouldn't expect increased traffic out to Pyeongchang though, nobody really has family that they would be visiting out there... Kinda dead area. They will probably run extra trains through the duration of the Olympics.

5. Booking rail tickets. Korail only allows booking for up to one month in advance. So look at the days you need your tickets and be ready at your computer a month in advance in order to secure tickets for the Olympic games. Unfortunately it's a bit tedious to book without an alien registration card, and you cannot select your own seats as a foreigner, but if you book early enough and as a group then the system seats you next to each other if space is available. If you buy in advance print your tickets (PDF is fine) and they will have your seat number on them, you have to sit in your assigned seat. It may be an obvious statement but people get really up in arms over that stuff. Be prepared to show your ticket to a conductor if asked, although that's rare. If caught without a ticket you have to pay full fare +20% or something like that.

6. If you are expecting to buy train tickets the day of travel you can, but expect that it will definitely be standing room only. KTX trains have a lot less "standing room" than regular trains, so they actually cap the number of standing tickets they sell. (regular trains have no cap, but as a result it's very... crowded) Don't rely on buying tickets the day of.

If anyone has some specific questions I'd be happy to answer them. Korea is an extremely safe place and don't worry, it won't be a nuclear wasteland by the time the Olympics come around. Book with confidence.

Last edited by warrenw; Aug 19, 2017 at 6:17 pm Reason: formatting