FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Skipping Segment, Hidden City / Point Beyond / Throw Away Ticketing (master thd)
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:44 am
wetrat0

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by orville nmn wright
I have a rt domestic ticket that cost $175. My plans have changed, and I probably won't use the return portion. I talked to AA, and was told that i needed to change the rez to one way, which after a $200 change fee would cost me an additional $80.
1) what if I just keep the existing rez, fly the outbound, and simply no show for the return? Would AA try to collect the $80 after the fact?
2) i discussed this with an AA reservation agent. Is it possible/likely that she noted my circumstances in my record?

For those who see this as a moral issue, it is (barely) possible things could change such that I would indeed want to use the original return. I would rather not give up that option.
I don't get the debate. If you're really feeling guilty, go online and click the "cancel" button after you take the outbound flight. They will deduct $200 from the unused portion of the ticket (which is approximately $87, assuming both directions were in the same fare bucket) and you will be left with nothing. They won't attempt to "collect the difference". Alternatively, just don't show up (or as others have said, check in and hope for a significant delay, in which case you can call and ask them to cancel the segment for a refund). Don't discount this last possibility-- I've done it successfully.

Edited to add: yes, the contract of carriage does allow them to assess you for the difference in fare, but in practice they don't because it would be really hard. Thus, the advice of don't do this very often and/or on very expensive tickets, where it would potentially be worth their while.