FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:46 pm
ESpen36
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kenny Idan Rub
Two questions.
1. If I declare something that is not allowed to be imported, does that affect my GE status or can I get a fine?
If we are talking about small amounts of food/agricultural items only, the answer is no, you would most likely not be prosecuted or lose your GE status, AS LONG AS you declared properly and completely. All the officers will probably do is give you a stern lecture and seize the items.

I want to bring some fruit to the country but I don't know if the fruit I have is allowed so I want to bring it and declare it but I don't want to get in trouble if it's not allowed. If it's not allowed then they can just take t away but I don't want a strike.
As far as declaring, it doesn't matter what the country of origin is--you MUST declare it. You can check the APHIS website in advance to find out if the fruit is theoretically allowed entry based on its country of origin. Of course, it is always up to the officers who process you at the port of entry. As long as you declare, the worst that is likely to happen to you is they will seize the fruit and give you a stern lecture.

My personal opinion: skip it. It's not worth it the hassle. You probably can find whatever kind of fruit it is at your local supermarket in the States, or at a specialty food store if the fruit is exotic.

2. If I brought food from the US on my trip abroad, and am bringing it back, do I have to declare it?
YES! All food must be declared, even that granola bar you brought with you from the USA and now are bringing back into the USA. Absoutely everything that is food or can be consumed as, or used to make, food.

**Disclaimer: While I am a frequent international traveler, I am not an attorney and the above does not constitute legal advice.**