FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Questioning Loyalty to Marriott anymore
View Single Post
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:11 am
jr1202sr

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I don't mean to derail this thread, but I'm continually shocked at the number of people who judge the quality of a hotel (or a rewards program) by their complementary breakfast. Personally, I would put that item somewhere around #98 in the list of most important items to me, but the topic keeps coming up. Seriously, if I'm already spending a few hundred dollars a night for a room, having to spend another $50 for breakfast (or $100 for that matter) isn't going to bother me in the slightest. I'd much rather have a high-quality experience, great guest service, upscale furnishings, etc. and pay for breakfast than to stay in a mediocre hotel where (yay!) breakfast is free. Call me crazy...
Family of 4 to eat for breakfast is well over 100 dollars. Don't forget the automatic 18 percent gratuity and 15% tax on top of it for your buffet. Bottle water are about 3-4 each and soda over 2 dollars. Very easily a lounge can save a family well over 100-150 dollars a night. If you are there for 5-7 nights it can really add up. Just because there is a beach and an Ocean doesn't make a hotel a resort. So it isn't 25-50 dollars savings. Also, if you are at resort with not much nearby you are stuck paying for it.

Also not sure where you are staying, but rarely are these hotels over 200 dollars. Maybe to you 500-1000 on a trip it is no big deal. To others that is more spending money for other things besides overpriced water and breakfast.