FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:17 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stheller
Thanks, but I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post. The question is whether I'm overlooking some feature of the Citicard or some drawback of the Aviator that means it would be a mistake to close the Citicard.

I have plenty of cards with long credit histories, so I don't think that will be a problem either way.

BTW, is there any way to check how close I am to the end of the 24 month period that prevents another bonus from Citibank? I think I'm pretty close but I'm not sure exactly when that is up.
The only thing I can think of is Citi Price Rewind, but (a) there are non-AA Citi cards that have that too, and (b) it doesn't help any if you don't use a Citi card for purchases (of significant enough amount to matter) where the purchase price might go down in the next 60 days.

Me, I dumped all my Citi AA cards when I had to close one, to get my 24 months synchronized. I would have had to risk not getting retention on 2 cards 2 times to be able to keep them open 25 (to be safe) months. I like the Aviator card better for overseas because it has both offline and online PIN on the EMV chip.

Anyway, keep in mind that either closing or converting your Citi personal AA card will reset the 24-month personal AA card clock, so think carefully about when to do it (you want to do right after being approved for another Citi AA personal card or right at the same time as closing another Citi AA personal card).