FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Headed to London for the first time in 25 years
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:52 am
Graciecatt

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lmwong1977
Your user profile lists your location as Boston - so think CharlieCard for the Oyster.

Must dos depend on your interests, but I think the Tower is worth doing especially if your daughter has never been. They spiffed up the Crown Jewels display a few years ago for The Queen's diamond jubilee too. Make sure you join a Beefeater guided tour as it includes a visit to the chapel where three of Henry VIII's wives are buried.

Unfortunately, Buckingham Palace is pretty much closed for tours in October. You can still see it from outside the gates and watch the changing of the guards though. I personally like watching the horse guards instead - no gates there.

I try to see a show when I'm in London. You probably know about the TKTS booths for the West End shows. I think tickets for the Royal National Theatre are separate from that. If you're really into Shakespeare - there's also The Globe - they added another theater a few years ago.

The Tate Modern also expanded a few years ago so it has even more galleries. The Natural History museum just moved the blue whale skeleton to the central hall which they redid - museums are good for a rainy day.

The hotel will probably have a paper map of major attractions nearby. I like these paper maps just in case the phone battery dies.
Thank you for the Charlie Card reference. That was what I was thinking, but I am glad you clarified.

I am so disappointed about Buckingham Palace! Is it closed completely? (off to google).

And I can never see the Crown Jewels enough so that's a must for sure! The Natural History museum will be fun for us as well.

I have the TKTS app - a show would be awesome.

From what I'm reading, museums are free and it costs money to go in churches?