FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Quartz: Your plane could fly itself by 2025…if you’re cool with that
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:33 am
axck

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Can a computer do what Sully did?
Can a computer do what Lubitz did? What about what van Zanten did? Or, you know, what Atta and his gang was able to do?Just saying, it goes both ways.

Aviation technology and automation is perenially improving. Humans will stay humans. In the future, at some point computers will be better pilots than humans. To look at it from the perspective of only today's tech is pretty shortsighted. They're not talking about eliminating pilots tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
this is even sillier than self driving cars, in terms of the (questionable) capabilities of the first truly self driving cars, which is what everyone is rushing for simply to claim they are first
Which questionable capabilities are these? I would bet you any sum of money that if you were to replace all of today's drivers in the US with only Google's cars, the accident and mortality rate would be lower. I have no problems with drivers who don't get tired, don't get emotional, don't get drunk or medicated, with nearly instantaneous reaction times and are able to communicate and cooperate with their fellow drivers.

I guess you'd prefer driving alongside the ones spending half their time looking at their phone, or the drunk or sleeping ones. Or is it the 99 year olds and 16 year olds who inspire your confidence?

Last edited by axck; Aug 12, 2017 at 6:42 am