FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:14 pm
Ballroomblitz

Hi everyone.

With 706 previous pages on Nexus it is a bit overwhelming of sorts trying to figure things out, so I will just put it out there and hope for the best!

I have used Nexus (land, border crossing) for a couple of years, but have always wanted to get clarification on a few items.

I understand we need to declare everything which I always ensure I do, never have had any issues most times even when bringing a single bottle of spirits back under the allowable timeframe I have been given the green light from the Nexus guard. Up front and honest, no deviation on that.

My one question I have always wondered about is a couple of snacks and partial case of water. I usually travel with a half case of water in the back of my car, so it goes into the US and back to our side so I have not purchased it in the States. Do I need to declare this, I don't seeing I had it going in but I want to be 100% sure. Any comments?

Second item is when we return we sometimes have a bag of chips or a pop for the drive, again don't wish to say I have a half eaten bag of chips to the nexus agent as he may think I am being funny or stupid....should we declare a bag of store purchased chips as a car snack crossing back?

Third item is our son has an athletic scholarship in the US side of the border, we cannot bring merchandise over for other people or commercial goods...however we crossed through at the regular (non Nexus) booth and they confirmed we can bring in merchandise for direct family. This would be normal for all families with kids in the US who are attending University. With the amount of stuff he requires for the 8 month stint in college, we usually will take a couple of trips and on the second trip it is just us parents making the trip south as he is in school.

Does anyone know if we can use the Nexus lane seeing we are both Nexus holders and bringing in material for our son for college? At the moment we go through the regular line, however we show our Nexus pass and have our passports as backup. We have had zero issue this way, we thought it was safer seeing we were not sure of the rules on this as so took the safest approach as mentioned.

Thanks for everyone and all comments with contributors who might be able to assist.

Cheers,
Ballroomblitz.