FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Hong Kong Master Thread (closed for renovation until 2022)
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:14 pm
scubaccr

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Pid
Some advice please. As a Spire Ambassador I booked two nights using my ambassador weekend certificate. Booked a Deluxe Harbour Room and after reading this thread expected to be upgraded to either a Deluxe Jnr Suite Harbour View or if unlucky then a Superior Jnr Suite Harbour View. After booking I noticed the booking had changed to a Superior Jnr Suite Harbour View. It then changed to a Partial Harbour View and now is showing as a Pool view. Do I have any recourse to challenge them to change it back to a harbour view suite as I booked the hotel for the view.

During email discussion regarding club access they do state I have been allocated the Partial Harbour View Suite.
You need wait until checkin. In any case the Sup JS "partial harbour view" is far from being a restricted view and on balance a room you will prefer over standard HV room you booked upfront.

Any reservastion upgrade mods seen online before arrival are subject to change. If AMBs complain too loud about the online mod before arrival+checkin, IC's will simply change to never modding bookings pre-arrival which is not in us Amb/RAs interests

Yes old upgrade was Dlx HV -> Dlx J/S , but around Apr2016 IC-HK started selling the Sup JS rooms, that were previously not advertised and thus only used as upgrade rooms for RAs booking base room (an upgrade given on both paid+award nights)
Even at this stage pre-Apr2016 before Sup JS cat added for booking, AMBs whilst allowed the Dlx JS, would also get Sup JS instead if the Dlx JS's all needed for sold rooms + RAs booking HV rooms.

Since Apr2016, Sup JS alas counts in upgrade path for both Amb's and (annoyingly) RAs, and RAs no longer get Sup JS as upgrade from base room (although I never book that low base room category)

My (and some others) thoughts at the time (Apr2016) was that some guests would not call sup JS bigger room an uipgrade as preferring the full HV view. Other guests would prefer the JS Partial/Pool view and biiger footprint , and thus why IC-HK originally did not sell Sup JS direct, hotel wanting to avoid the occasional angry upgraded guest.

The Sup JS Partial View descriptor is not doing the Sup JS view justice though, hotel is just necessarily being open/honest in room description. The sup JS is a perfectly fine room, though myself I always book pre-upgrade to receive a Dlx JS or Exec JS.