FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you keep track of your airports?
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:44 am
compubit

Programs: Hilton: Diamond/Everything else: Kettle...
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Only to the extent that I will actively avoid certain ones. DEN for example..I will fly to COS when I can just to avoid DEN, even if I have business in Denver. It's a 45 minute drive from Co Springs to Denver..but then it's about the same from DEN to downtown anyway. DEN shouldn't be properly called Denver Airport, not being in Denver after all.
Ahh, but it is in Denver... Denver City annexed the land before the airport was built. The entire trip from downtown to the airport stays within Denver City limits (except for a short distance on I-70 between I-225 and Pena Blvd, which is in Aurora). Coming from the east coast, I usually end up flying into Denver (rather than COS, which is my destination) due to price and flight convenience. The only time recently I've found it cheaper to fly into COS vs. Denver is Spring Break times...

I avoid MCO like the plague..because with all those kids and families running around I feel like I might actually catch the plague. The Kettle level at MCO is off the charts. The musical chairs with seating, the hundreds of family pre-boards per flight, the screaming babies. I fly to TPA and drive.
I'll throw another alternate in there to MCO (especially if you're along the coast): MLB - Melbourne is a nice quiet airport, granted not a lot of amenities, but easy in/easy out.

I also favor secondary airports whenever possible. MDW instead of ORD, SNA or BUR instead of LAX. The exception is LGW...I would rather be at LHR! LGW is a high pressure filth-hole.
If you get the opportunity - consider flying through LCY - London City, IMHO, was a breeze to fly through (only where feasible), but my bag beat me to baggage claim, and we were off the plane in minutes of pulling up to the gate.

Jim