FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "must" do in Hamburg?
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:09 am
MIM

Originally Posted by MIM
Have booked flights for a weekend in Hamburg the week before Christmas for the family (me, Mrs MIM and two boys aged 10 and 12) – arriving late Friday, out Sunday evening.

Only did it on a spur of the moment yesterday, and haven’t really done any research, beyond establishing that Hamburg is a great city and worth a look.

Any recommendations on areas to hone in on for accommodation options – easily accessible from the airport (especially given that we’ll be landing at 22:30), central but nether expensive nor ‘edgy’*, that sort of thing…

Am open to both hotels and Airbnb, so residential areas may be an option.

*I’m sure the boys would be 'intrigued' by the Reeperbahn, but I don’t really want to spend my weekend explaining what “that dwarf is doing to that donkey Dad….”
I've still not booked anywhere to stay for our weekend in Hamburg in December, but am hoping to get things sorted this weekend.

Any suggestions for areas to target and/or avoid?

Also, how far is 'too far' out in terms of location? We don't mind being a little bit away from the city centre, but wouldn't want to be stuck out in the suburbs. How walkable is Hamburg as a city?