FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying Large Dog JFK or BOS to CMN (Casablanca)
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:26 pm
Chloe Ember

Programs: Safar Flyer, United, American, Delta, Air France
Oops, I lost whatever I wrote earlier. I wanted first to thank you @bhomburg for your detailed and amazingly knowledgeable response, which I only just saw tonight. I guess I need to actively check back here.

It looks like I can actually take advantage of an unused return on an Iberia flight from BOS>MAD>CMN. They couldn't put him through to Tangier because he's too big, but re-routing through CMN should do the trick.

Do you know if Iberia treats doggies well in their cargo?

I called various airlines and was impressed by both Air France and Lufthansa, but Royal Air Maroc and Iberia both left me feeling a little worried because their agents didn't seem to know much about what happens once the dogs are out of sight.

Air France seems to do some nice things like board the dogs last, and unload them first to minimize their time on the tarmac or in cargo, and keep the owner around for as long as is possible, etc.

Also, do you know if you have to collect all luggage plus dog at any of these various transfer points? I'm a little concerned about that since I'll have with me more than one person can easily carry.

I may just have to drive to JFK to avoid that, but it's pretty far, so I'd have to beg my driver! And I also worry about whether RAM is safe.

And oh, JFK is tempting for rabbit chasing! My dog would love that. But I have a lot of luggage I'd have to transfer along with the doggy, so I think I may have to avoid that route unless I can manage to fly direct.

Last edited by Chloe Ember; Aug 9, 2017 at 9:59 pm Reason: Edited for clarity