FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:19 pm
longtimeflyin
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by The Lev
Given that they were doing a visual approach and apparently not using their ILS, how do you think they would have landed the plane without looking out the window?

I'm not an expert in these matters but people seem to be assuming that "surely the pilots could not help but see four honking big aircraft sitting on the taxiway" - the problem is that in the dark from overhead, you don't see much - a few lights on the planes that could blend in with the plethora of other little lights on the runway/taxiway if you are not paying really close attention (like maybe you were trying to focus on landing the plane and using confirmation bias to tell you the runway is right in front of you).
I agree with parts of your argument here whereby there is an off chance that a pilot could have confused the lights from planes on the ground, but when looking at Left or Right runway, a big red X is a dead giveaway.

This is why I am honestly perplexed here. These are very seasoned pilots flying a night approach where the weather was clear. Something does not add up here.