FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New TSA Credential Authentication Technology ID Scanners - No Boarding Pass Required
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:28 pm
STBCypriot

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Given pretty much all International travellers will be using a passport, I'm sure it'll just use the MRZ (Or even just read the text for non MRZ passports).
Not a given. I do not show TSA my passport when travelling internationally and there is no requirement to do so. I show my passport card, but I could show my FL driver's license which is still valid, but has an incorrect address as I no longer live in the US.

The one time I showed the ID checker my passport, he took it upon himself to scrutinize every singe page (and I had 2 sets of extra pages in my passport - this was 6 or 7 years ago). It was none of his business to be looking through my passport; he only needed to verify ID.

I also had one TSA ID checker ask me for my passport when I presented my passport card with my boarding pass to an international destination (this was bout 3 years ago). I told him that I had presented him with a valid ID. He insisted for the passport saying that I needed a passport to fly to my destination. I told him that I knew that and that the airline verified my passport at check-in and that I could present him with any valid ID of my choosing and I chose to show him my passport card. End of discussion.