FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How does full fare / fully refundable legacy carrier flying work in the real world?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:56 pm
BiggAW

Programs: RapidRewards, SkyPesos, whatever flies where I want to go.
Originally Posted by chrisl137
At $0.53/mile (or whatever it is lately), it's almost certainly much cheaper to get a rental for distances that far.

For long drives for us (e.g. LA to SF) if you want to drive yourself, ours will reimburse up to the cost of flying you (including things like the parking etc), which ends up IME being reasonable.
They won't even process a reimbursement for driving over 250 miles. It would OK if it were just a cap of 250, as many people can drive for well below the IRS rate, so it might still make more sense to take their own car.

We do per diem, too, which works out well for me because part of my travel expenses are the petsitters, which I probably couldn't get reimbursed on receipts, but since the per diems are reasonably generous I don't end up taking a loss.
Yeah, it gives a lot more flexibility, and you don't feel like you have to keep track of everything. You just spend whatever you want to, and keep the per diem.