FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OK to change to pyjamas in the lounge?
View Single Post
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:46 am
wolf72
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by leungy18
There's a small crowd at the boarding school I attend who absolutely love that look. Lacoste polo, pink shorts, boat shoes, Ray Bans. Bonus points for a tacky gold watch and a slicked-back Trump Jr. haircut. It screams "douche".

I find the look actually helps in certain scenarios (no, not the haircut, just the expensive polo+accessories). Like when I check into a hotel or an airline lounge alone. I feel staff treat me a bit more respectfully (that includes FAs). Servers in a restaurant are more attentive. Employees in a high-end store will start and continue conversations instead of dismissing me as a "window shopper", even after I tell them I'm just browsing.

But it's not a look I'd choose to display on a daily basis. The "confident douche" vibe gets awkward very quickly if you're in a Walmart or a fast food place: it's just weird. Like an economy pax wearing a contrast-collar shirt.
I think the way you dress and present yourself in public does garner a little bit of "respect" and attention, especially when it comes to dealing with airline staff sometimes. I am not saying it is right or if someone dressed smartly should get better treatment or preference but it happens.

I am like the worst dresser in the world outside of corporate office wear when it comes to travelling on holidays...shorts, a comfortable adidas or puma polo, slip on sketcher shoes and a backpack. Totally the opposite from the long sleeve office shirt, slacks, tie and expensive leather shoes and gelled hair.

But it does help when you need to solve a problem. Sometimes. And having some mileage and credentials when it comes to airline cards helps.
Attached Images