FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cars at LIH
Thread: Cars at LIH
View Single Post
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:25 am
factory81

Got back some time ago. While the island population is 70k, the traffic in Kapaa/Lihue can be a bit discouraging at times. In my initial estimates, I had thought the North Shore was closer and something that could be done on a whim. And to some extent that is true, though the traffic can really drag that process out. And to reach Tunnels from Poipu resorts, you have a 80 minute drive in front of you.

Went with a 4dr Wrangler. Glad we did. Seen a lot of Mustangs with luggage riding in the backseats and the top down, as the convertibles had not enough trunk space to fit much luggage. Not to mention the potholes that could tear a bumper off.

We took the 2 front panels off in our Wrangler, and enjoyed that quite a bit.

Also, this is the first time I have seen National Car Rental produce a magazine specifically for a location. They have a magazine called DRIVE, that is handed to guests when they checkout of the rental lot. The magazine is curated specifically for the island of Kauai, and everything you can see/do. It is an actual magazine, at 72 pages in length. You could have practically skipped all planning and reading prior to arriving, and just read this magazine, and got the cliff notes version of it all. Where the farmers markets are on what days, what the good restaurants are on each side, what the good beaches are, etc.

National Executive Members will take note that the shuttle driver will call ahead when you get on the bus at the airport, and have the staff bring your rental out. IME, all 4 times I went to the National location, the lot was empty, and people were being hand delivered vehicles brought from elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Twixboy
Some comments about your comments for factory81:

1) Most visitors don't realize how few people there are here. I think we just cracked 70k population this year island-wide. Most towns only have about 2,000 residents.

2) If you're coming with your SO - just the 2 of you - a convertible should be fine. You can throw the luggage in the back seat. But keep in mind most parking lots are rough dirt lots and the terrain is very hilly and uneven. You'll be bottoming out a lot if you plan on doing a lot of hiking and other outdoor activities. There are several hikes and beaches that are only accessible by SUV so plan ahead if you decide to rent a convertible. You'll be fine if you stick to the popular tourist stuff like the PAVED roads in Waimea Canyon, the lifeguarded beaches, and don't venture too far off the highway.

True story:
I rented a Camaro the first time I arrived on the island. I bottomed out on my own driveway as I pulled into my new house for the first time. After that I said never again!