FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 'Make a Green Choice' (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping for 250/500 Starpoints or $5 credit
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:06 pm
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by megalab
I always choose MAGC partly because I don't want people in my room. Many times on MAGC stays >2-3 days housekeeping still freshened the room even when I had a DND sign on the door. My last two SPG stays (5 nts & 4 nts) housekeeping did this after 2nd nt, even though front desk assured me it was noted on my room comments. If I need something replenished I ask the front desk because they usually have it there, so I don't know why housekeeping still feels the need to do my room.

On a side note, we're at a Courtyard by Marriott that offers MAGC, but for only 250 MR pts. Declined because my wife likes the luxury of maid service and 83 SPG pts is not worth the effort of freshening the room myself.
The biggest reason is probably because many properties pay piece meal for housekeeping. Their pay is determined by the number of rooms they clean. Regardless of MAGC, if they come to my room while I'm still there, I may swap out towels but tell them to check me off hoping they get paid for having done the cleaning. Now I would think differently if I was a messy person and needed someone to clean up after me (heaven knows that doesn't happen at home).