FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Basic Qs about Sleeping Car Rez Changes, Cancellations
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:54 pm
Explore

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Basic Qs about Sleeping Car Rez Changes, Cancellations

Here are some questions I have, for the experts. Some Qs may be answered on the Amtrak website, but I'd be surprised if they all are.

Background: there is a 10% or 20% points penalty for cancellations or most changes, according to the phone rep (but only after I probed him on the matter - he just went ahead and made the booking without any caveats). The only exception is where the points redemption cost remains exactly the same as when the booking was made. And you can't change dates without penalty.

Q: Can you cancel a points booking within 24 hours without penalty for any reason, as with an airline booking? How about a cash booking?

Q: Can you add someone to a sleeping car booking (same room) without fee?

Q: Can you change rooms without fee? Note: the initial room booked may not be in the optimal location. You can only specify a room by phoning to reserve, not by using the website. And you only can only guarantee the left side or right side by booking a room in the transition sleeper, because Amtrak doesn't have the discipline to marshal other sleepers in a consistent direction.

Thanks!