FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How much would living 3months in Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam cost during Dec-Feb?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:13 pm
invisible

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Sorry, if I sound here patronizing, but I have moved from country to country six times last 25 years and I've seen people going thru culture shock numerous times. It happens even when they moved to serviced apartments for $12000/mo at Marina Bay Financial Center or at Orchard Rd in Singapore (who knows, understands).

Major contributor to culture and other shocks (even worse than culture, as was mentioned) is the assumption that when moving from country to country - the life, chores, things you do - will be the same, or at least - familiar. This is fundamentally wrong assumption. Especially when moving to a country with completely different people/language/climate/food/history/etc.

If you go to a new place with open mind and low expectations (key factor) then most likely the trip/relocation will be rewarding and with new and rich experiences. If you move there expecting things will be the same - it will bring nothing but troubles.