FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any experience with Airbnb?
View Single Post
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:06 pm
silverthief2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I'll take your word for it

Would be curious if you could share a couple of examples.
Originally Posted by mot29
Not the original poster -- but 2 good experiences with airbnb customer service.

My first booking was for a room in Bangkok years ago during the floods. A week before, I got a message from the host asking if he could cancel as some friends of his had been flooded out of their place and he was trying to accommodate them in his spare room. I agreed and he cancelled through airbnb. Airbnb reached out to me, thanking me for allowing the cancellation and refunded the fee and booking charges and gave me a $25 credit. I ended up booking a last minute deal at a Citadines property instead.

Second was booking 1 room in an apartment in Amsterdam. I checked in about noon and all was fine with the living room and kitchen which were shared with the other 2 bedrooms in the apartment. When I came back that night the other tenants had checked in and left the kitchen a mess and had taken over the living room as another bedroom.
I contacted the host the next morning who agreed to allow me to cancel the rest of my booking. Airbnb also reached out and refunded the unstayed nights and issued a credit for the booking fee plus some extra $s.
In May I had my first AirBnB cancellation. Had booked an entire apartment in lower Manhattan with access to a gym back in February, and a week beforehand received a cancellation with a message from the host, simply "building no longer allows guests." By that time there were no available properties meeting those criteria anywhere south of Midtown, so AirBnB swiftly offering the refund plus a $60-something credit on a new booking, while a nice gesture, was not helpful. Ended up at a new CY property which was at least in the location I needed with gym.