FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CX ran out of dessert wine
View Single Post
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:36 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ermen
It was the DV By Doisy Vedrines Sauternes 2013

Whatever that means... but it tastes yum...
yea, i mean put it this way.

if you're one to care about price, that Sauternes is (at retail) 50-150% more expensive than the LBV (late bottled vintage) port they normally have on offer in J class.

Away from price, there are plenty of absolutely lovely ports out there, stunning stuff if you don't mind paying up a little for a proper tawny or vintage. However, historically IME CX has not offered those. Like all wines, port has some bottom of the barrel stuff and that's generally what CX serves. Most folks just like sweet wine so they don't give a darn that it really is low grade port. But just fyi, the ruby and LBV CX usually serves are at the rock bottom of the port hierarchy. If CX had a nice 20 year tawny or a vintage port (...fat chance), then I might not be so thrilled with the change, because vintage or a decent tawny port are just lovely.

But going from Dow's or whatever recent LBV port to this Sauternes is like going from a beat up Chevy to something....a lot nicer. I used to have a beat up Chevy for the record, close to my heart. These two wines are a different ballgame. Which is also hilarious that CX only stocked one bottle. Talk about being dumb. Hopefully that's an unintentional oversight of demand increase, always possible (although I doubt it). Let's see if them running out becomes a thing or it gets alleviated, like the burgers. If you recall, CX used to only stock a few per flight. Then they doubled or tripled the amount they were catering and the problem is effectively resolved.

Last edited by QRC3288; Jul 31, 2017 at 7:44 pm