FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cars at OGG
Thread: Cars at OGG
View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:46 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ginmqi
Haha, duly noted.

I know that I am a fairly cautious/worried person so anytime I read something online I am a bit more timid. But I do see your point and this is what I probably suspected...that many renters drive anyway and usually it's not a problem.

I may try to at least pick up a SUV or something to help instead of something real low to the ground.
Something a little higher up like a small SUV might be helpful if you're concerned - I've done the Pi'ilani Hwy in everything from midsize to convertible, and there are only a few spots in a couple sections where you just go slow and steer around the potholes - they are big enough to be very obvious and unless you're screaming along at 50+ through the rough spots, there is plenty of time to avoid dropping into one.

You'll notice much of the various rental fleets have little scrapes and dings here and there, rim scratches, etc - they didn't get that way from sticking to "approved" paved highways because some of the most beautiful scenery in Hawaii is often along a choppy or less desirable road and thanks to some of the more popular tour books, that is now where everyone takes their rental cars.