FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Choose BA 16/17 oz SQ 232/231 SYD-SIN choice in business or eco?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:09 am
lowjhg

Originally Posted by scottellsworth
I asked an unclear question. Sorry about that.

What I should have asked was relative ranking of BA Business class vs SQ business class, given that one is on a 777ER, and the other an a380. This thread described BA business partner layout, and I took this thread as an endorsement of SQ.

This review made a good case for the 13 hr LHR-SIN flight, but the threads on limited "sleeper" service on SQ seemed to indicate a smaller gap for the red-eye flights that have limited service. I was hoping for a pointer to whether 231/232 is as good as 318. Same metal - a380 - but only eight hours instead of 13.

The difference between business class and premium economy are pretty clear - lie flat/angled flat seats vs reclining standard seats alone changes the product. It was the differences within the same level that I am looking for good threads on.

I was also trying to figure out whether the two premium economy products differed as substantially as the business class ones appear to. This blog gave a meh review of Premium Economy on SQ (not available on QF). This review for a PE 777 on SQ was mixed, and I did not find the equivalents for BA to see whether PE on BA is similar.
As a QF apologist, i will highly recommend the QF option.

SQ and BA PE pales in comparison with QF PE, but QF hasn't had PE on this route since 2014 so in this reply i will address the J question.

If you're into inflight service and food, then there is no better option than QF. Full dinner/supper service post takeoff and full continental breakfast before landing. SQ's red eye option only allows you to pick 1 meal option, i.e. either you choose a supper service or a breakfast service, neither will leave you feeling quite full inflight.

Back down to aircraft and seating choices, SQ clearly wins with the A380 service and their diamond seats, but QF is not too bas too with the vantage XL, quite private especially if you pick either 2A, K, or 4A, K. BA's club world seats are a joke.

SQ231 and QF6 both have the advantage of a late SYD arrival, which benefits you, the traveller from the morning rush. Imagine 5-6 wide bodies (including QF2, QF81 and BA15) arriving at around the same time, the time it takes to clear customs (irregardless of checked baggage) will take approximately an hour. After 10am, the customs clearance time will dramatically decrease to less than 15 minutes. Sydney has scrapped the express path for customs so everyone has to queue in the same line.

Lastly, being biased towards QF, i think they have more experienced FAs and that the duvet + doona supplied onboard is of more superior quality than SQ. QF serves Duval Leroy brut MV in J, and SQ serves Taittinger Prelude MV in J. I don't know what the hype with SQ is about but for a night flight like this, QF takes the cake for me.