FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I finally ended my loyalty to AA and I love it....
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:42 pm
bse118

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What is the frequency of such events ?

If there is a cancellation/long delay, unlike AA from US, there would be (at current exchange rates) $705 compensation for the delay/cancellation as well as entitlement to a refund of the fare if not wanting to wait

Also, of course, regardless of delay reason, the airline has to provide food/drinks and pay for accommodation if there is an overnight delay ( and choose not to cancel ) regardless of the reason for the delay

Much better protection that AA offers
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The reply was in response to the comment regarding use of Norwegian Premium economy - where these protections exist
And how many interline agreements and alliance partners does Norwegian have? And many alternate routing options does it offer if a flight is cancelled or severely delayed?

If I am travelling on business or for a personal event that I need to be at, the EU261 protections you are referring to aren't really the type of protections I am looking for: options to get my destination as close to schedule as possible.

In other words this:

Originally Posted by rjw242
100% agree. I'm quite happy with the likes of Allegiant and Norwegian for leisure and non-time-critical business travel. If it's absolutely critical that I'm somewhere at a certain time, though, I'd be less inclined to use them.
I would go further and say that airlines like Norwegian are completely out of bounds for business and time sensitive travel. For that, I want a network carrier with the redundancies and partner backups that comes with it.

Originally Posted by cmd320
I believe the point is, why bother transiting at a hub at all when one can cut out the hub entirely and just go from destination to origin nonstop?
Because if the O/D flight is only 2x a week (like Norweigian will be from my home airport and many others) or 1x a day (like many NK and G4 routes); there's no backup or alternate options when things go pear-shaped. If my hub connection through DFW is messed up - decent chance AA can re-route me through another hub. No such luck on many LCCs.

Don't get me wrong: these carriers have their purpose - but reliable business travel is not one of them

Last edited by bse118; Jul 29, 2017 at 6:45 pm Reason: typo