FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Operational Upgrades (op up) - all about and "I got one" (consolidated)
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:27 pm
adambrock

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Originally Posted by born sleepy
I'm unsure what AA policy is regarding op-ups when there are standbys. On a few occasions I was op-upped after boarding even though the flight was over 500mi (I'm AA Plat) to make room for standby pax. Yay, op-up.

Yesterday DCA-ATL I did not request an upgrade and there was one person on the list according to the monitor. I boarded with no expectation of an upgrade despite only two pax in F: the guy on the UG list and one more. Bad wx yesterday with many delays and cancellations so the standby list was about 30 pax. F remained nearly empty until the GA boarded standby pax, filling up the remaining seats in Y and F.

Should GA have upgraded EXP/PLT/GLD members then put the standbys in the now-open Y seats? There's no way all those standbys were EXP and they were not on the UG list.

Again I had no expectation of an upgrade. I just want to be clear on AA policy in this situation. Thx in advance (yes I searched, everything returned was from 2011 or older).
if F had availability, then there would've been no KEY, EXP or PPro to upgrade when processing standby - they would've already been upgraded. If there were 30 people on standby, my guess is those that cleared were elites and got put into first because they were eligible for upgrades as well.