FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I finally ended my loyalty to AA and I love it....
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:03 pm
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
One thing that I've found especially helpful with status has been the experience during IRROPS.

During 2 trips in June I encountered:

* a crazy pop-up thunderstorm at DFW, that caused all kinds of delays. when I saw my connecting flight leaving as mine pulled up, I called the Plat line and was put on the next flight. after I got to that gate, the gate agent was telling people to go to customer service (which would have taken at least an hour) or to the gate for the following flight.

* plane was being pushed back at DFW when the luggage truck hit it I called the Plat line as I was walking off; they couldn't yet move me to another flight since mine hadn't yet been canceled. but they did protect me on one, and I was one of the few who managed to get on that one (most pax were on hours later)

If you're flying paid F, perhaps the airline would take care of you even if you don't have status. But if you're buying the cheapest coach fare, then you're on your own.