FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:03 am
DELee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Can you tell me if the ocean front rooms are out close to the water?
Originally Posted by Rockyrat
"Rooms close to the water" all depends on your interpretation of the word "close". All of the tide pool area in between the hedges of the grassy area just past the pools all the way to the beach itself is off limits. There is one path through the middle of that area to the beach. Going off of the path anywhere in the area in and around the hotel is prohibited and will not go over well with the locals. It's probably a 2 minute walk from the closest rooms to the beach.

As far as the room category map is concerned I'm pretty sure that all of the rooms in the Ka'ahumanu Tower (right side tower in the map) are now MVC rooms. I know that the one that they showed to me during the tour is in there.

Also as shown in the map, the top 3 floors of the Kamehameha Tower on the left are considered "Ocean Front" and I think that each room would take up 2 of the squares shown. There are very few "Ocean Front" rooms and they couldn't be farther from the one set of elevators.
As Rockyrat and writerguyfl have posted, none of the rooms are "out close to the water" unless you'd define close to be 500 to 800 to 1000 feet - the closest rooms are those in the Ka'ahumanu Tower/MVC part of the property but ya still gotta walk. Here are images from Google Maps as well as two shots from my trip in May.

There's a small lava rock emplacement and a series of fish ponds between the Marriott Waikoloa/MVC (or the more formal names of Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa/Marriott’s Waikoloa Ocean Club).

The final image from the Marriott website really gives you the perspective of standing in the middle of the walkways to/from the beach. But, to be honest, that perspective is much of the Big Island - lava fields everywhere.

David
Attached Images