FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tracking the ridiculous inconsistency of AC's OLCI reminder e-mails
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:59 am
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TravellingGypsy
To what end? Is your goal to get AC to improve the timeliness and reliability of these emails?
That would be ideal. AC reads FT. Maybe it has an impact, maybe it doesn't. Worst case, it's another opportunity to vent frustration at AC on FT.

Do you actually rely upon these to prompt you to OLCI?

If you need a consistent, reliable reminder go with the mobile app -- it can place a notification in your calendar for all booked flights. This is but one of a myriad of ways you can set your own reminder, in a format that works with whatever system you prefer to help organize and plan your days.
I fly a lot and I lead a busy life. I'm not a FOTSG eagerly counting down the days, hours and minutes to my next flight. If I'm busy enjoying my weekend vacation or in the midst of a 16-hour work day, dropping what I'm doing to OLCI isn't necessarily top of mind without a prompt from somewhere.

The other problem I have is that ac.com frequently doesn't want me to check in online based on my Aeroplan number, necessitating a PNR, which I may or may not have handy at the time I'm trying to OLCI. The PNR is included in the e-mail.

I try to never rely on AC's crappy IT for anything. But it would be nice to have an OLCI e-mail system that worked and simplified my life.

As for the app, it's not much better. Only flights booked on ac.com show up there, others need to be added manually. Not all ac.com-booked flights show up correctly. Some alerts may come at T-24. Some may not come at all. OLCI also may not work properly through the app, or a paper BP may be required.

Yes, there are other ways to set this up, like adding reminders to one's calendar, but why should one need to bother when other airlines get features like this to work properly and consistently? (UA even lets you auto check-in for a return leg on your outbound, on certain itineraries, and you will just get an e-mail with a BP when check-in opens on the return!) I spend as much, if not more money, on AC than on any other airline. Why should I hold them to a lower standard?

Really not trying to be sarcastic...I completely agree AC IT can and needs to improve, I just don't think this is an issue for anyone but you.
That's a ludicrous statement given how often the poor quality of the OLCI reminders has been criticized or mocked around here. Some have even commented that the OLCI e-mails help them remember to cancel bookings they would have otherwise forgotten about.