FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tracking the ridiculous inconsistency of AC's OLCI reminder e-mails
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:00 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Tracking the ridiculous inconsistency of AC's OLCI reminder e-mails

Any appetite to start keeping a database of when we receive OLCI e-mails so that AC can start to understand just how useless and broken their system is?

I was prompted to think about this during a recent glut of travel where the e-mails ranged from the sublime (T-23:59 or so) to the simply non-existent. Sometimes both on the same flight (my wife and I were on separate PNRs on one of these trips).

Before anyone says AC IT already knows when we get these, please, this is AC IT. I highly doubt they have any idea when the OLCI e-mails get sent out, otherwise they wouldn't arrive in such a haphazard fashion.

Perhaps a public database of their failures might help them realize how broken their system is.

But obviously no one of us (even the mighty yyznomad) flies enough to create a meaningful sample size, so it would need to be a community effort.

I have two ideas for format, neither of which would require a lot of work from any one individual:
  • Create a wiki in this thread. Broad categories, e.g. received between T-24 and T-20, between T-19:59 and T-16, etc. Just a running total of which time period the e-mails were received in. Simplest way to do it.
  • I could built a spreadsheet on Google Sheets with a bit more detail. It would allow for more detailed tracking but take a bit more time for everyone to update all the time.

Post with your thoughts on whether it's worthwhile and whether you'd contribute, as well as which format you think is more useful.