FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I finally ended my loyalty to AA and I love it....
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:15 pm
rbAA

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I always check GF and other sites for the alternatives. Of course, being in BKK opens up a multitude of options, and I haven't had to fly AA except to burn the SWU's plus for the few domestic segments I need. Usually do AA for HKG-LAX RT for $546, though next March I do have the HKG-LAX-JFK for about the same price. Travel midweek so 100% UPG's so far, except on JFK-SFO recently or a same day standby-try that on your UA BE. However, I find that, for where I need to go domestically, AA is still the best and lowest fare option, without those nasty BE fares. LAX-ORD RT $100, LAX-DEN one way $59; DEN-LAX-SFO $99 LAX-DENxDEN-JAX for $168 one way. Full benefits and good UPG chances since I'm over 18k EQD's. And, cheaper than Frontier or UA BE's. Plus, this was the cheapest requalification ever and great flights, especially the QR business class at $1500 RT for BKK-DOH-LAX. So much better than all the AA metal when I lived in China, and had to use ex-YYZ fares most of the time, then AA changed their sched and put mostly A319's out of YYZ. A terrible plane and I see their using it for YYZ-LAX now.

And, the QR RT generated 51k RDM's instead of 11 miles/$, apx 15k, if AA metal. My $5k total spend this year will generate apx 190K AA and 24k OZ miles. Seems just like a usual year, only better.

Don't know what I would do if I was a working stiff in the US, but then been there, done that. Reposition.

Also, since I'm requalified so early, can try other long haul J products. OS business class trip coming up in Sept BKK-VIE-LAX RT for $2200 with a stopover for 2+ weeks in Europe. Probably could have done it cheaper with some PE fares, but not much of a cost difference, big difference in comfort.

So, I agree, loyalty to any airline merely for it's frequent flyer program is misplaced. They need to earn my loyalty all over again.

Last edited by rbAA; Jul 27, 2017 at 10:24 pm