FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:00 pm
jrl767
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
... noticed ... vestiges of the old and original people mover system at DFW, built long before the current Skylink system was introduced. I believe the old system ran on rubber tires along concrete pathways. Several of these converging pathways can be seen from the aforementioned skywalk linking Terminal D with Terminals A and C. Anybody remember this old thing?
indeed I do ... my first all-nighter wandering around an airport was at DFW in Mar 1974 (IAH-SHV-GGG-DFW on a Texas Intl Convair 600, arriving ~9pm; saw the Great Pumpkin blocking in from HNL around sunrise, before departing mid-morning for MCI on a Braniff 72S and thence MCI-ORD-BOS on a TWA Convair 880)

probably around 2am I took a photo of an electric cart that was plugged into a floor-level outlet to recharge; this wouldn't be remarkable, except for what struck my slightly off-beat sense of humor ... it was directly in front of an Avis counter that had a sign reading "This auto rental counter is unmanned. Please take the AirTrain to the main terminal lobby."