FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:06 am
WHBM

Programs: BA
even in 1974.

Two years later, I inherited $3000.00 and booked a First Class seat aboard a Qantas 747 routing YVR-SFO-HNL. That flight lived up to its billing. You can read all about it right HERE
Memories of a trip, also up front in a Qantas 747-200B, 20 years later. There were still a few of their newest ones around then, and as our Australian client was paying for the trip that was an up-front round-the-world routing I achieved. If it's an Australian client you use an Australian airline, Virgin Atlantic LHR-LHX combined with QF the rest of the way.

Mostly 747-400s by then, but the Brisbane to Singapore flight, almost a tag in Qantas terms, was an original 747-200B. As nice an interior as its younger brethren. I recall the IFE showed some significant manual navigation around upper level cu-nim storm clouds visible on the far horizon (an approach I'm afraid some airline accountants view as an unnecessary expense nowadays) as we crossed the Northern Territories, in "The Wet", on what was actually midsummers day afternoon, just before Christmas.

The menus on their flights looked pretty much the same as the ones in that post from long ago. I do recall that on the long LAX-SYD daylight leg the lunch and dinner menus were pretty much the same, fortunately with several choices.

Qantas in those days was actually the No 2 airline at Singapore, after Singapore AL, a hub with flights to all major Australian cities, several European ones, and also Asian points like Hong Kong. They even beat British Airways on local Singapore to London passenger numbers. Aspects all gone.